Friday 7 September 2012

Keto Bento Challenge

This may sound off topic but bear with me.

My husband is a total hottie. As of late, he's been knocking the hottie level up a few notches by losing weight on his new keto diet. Well, technically, I shouldn't call it 'new' anymore; he's been on it for 8 weeks and is still going strong.

He's lookin' gooood.

The keto diet is an ultra-low carb diet, which I can't tell you much about but these guys can. At first, I found making meals for him on his diet really nightmarish, especially when he doesn't like cheese (a keto staple). He's becoming a bit of a cook himself, so it has helped that he will make dinner sometimes and I just need to provide the carbs to keep me and the kids functioning. (I went on the keto diet with him for, I think, three days and couldn't hack it. My excuse is breastfeeding a newborn.) It's been quite a challenge trying to make meals for the whole family, keeping carbs in mind, but I'm getting there.

And then I realised I could have fun with this. Thus I introduce to you the:


I would attempt to make keto-friendly bentos for Scott. Here is my first attempt.


It consists of:
-Sliced red pepper (2g net carbs) filled with tuna (0g net carbs)mixed with malt vinegar (approx .5g)
-Boiled egg (.5g)
-Mini Pepperami (.2g)
-2 florets of raw broccoli (approx .5g)
-4 medium sized strawberries (approx 2.5g)
Plus a sugarfree jelly (trace) and a Diet Irn Bru (0g)

Total net carbs (approx) = 5.7

It's a few more than he'd probably like, but he is allowing himself about 20g per day, so he still has room for something nice for tea tonight. Which he'll have to fix himself, because Baby Jaguar and I are meeting friends for a carb-tastic curry and a trip to the theatre to see Calendar Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment